Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Turkey Taco Melts

Hey Y'all. I thought I would post what we are having for dinner tonight! It's a new to me recipe and it turned out pretty tasty. I'm still working my way through those .20 a can biscuits so I am googling my little heart out to come up with a recipe that isn't just a casserole topped with biscuits (which is good but gets old fast). So I found this recipe, of course I can never just use the recipe as is so here are all my tweaks.





Turkey Taco Melts:

1 can  (16.3 oz) biscuits (.20 with price matching and coupons at Walmart)
1 lb lean ground turkey (from Walmart price matched and coupon making it 2.28 a lb)
1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained (Dollar Tree has these and I had a 1.00 off 2 Ortega product coupon making it .50 a can)
1 medium onion minced (from Walmart .79 3 lb bag)
1 cup frozen and defrosted or canned rinsed and drained corn (from my Target Haul .76  bag I used like half)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used white cheddar but you can use whatever you want)
3 T chopped fresh cilantro ( about half of my .74 bunch from Walmart)
1/2 c salsa (I bought a lot of salsa a month ago when Piggly Wiggly had a sale for 1.50 a jar of chi chi's salsa and I doubled a 1.00 of 2 coupon so .50 a jar)
juice of half a lime (.25 a piece at Walmart)

1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease a cookie sheet
2. Cook turkey and onion in a skillet
3. Add salsa, black beans, cilantro, corn, lime juice and taco seasoning mix follow the directions on taco seasoning packet
4. Press out biscuits to 6 inch rounds
5. Spoon 1/3 c or so of the mixture and 1 T cheese into the middle of the round and then fold over the dough and pinch to seal.
6. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for  9-14 minutes.

Serve with salsa and sour cream.  We are pairing this with cut up celery, carrots, broccoli and ranch dip. I know that is a weird pairing. My family is used to it :)
Man this makes me think about Cinco De Mayo which is in May (umm duh), when it's warm and things are green.... *Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment